DevOps is the IT movement that represents Application Development and IT Operations working together. DevOps is aimed at providing a platform to connect several disparate and distributed teams to deliver applications matching to the timeliness and quality that the business demands. DevOps will enable IT Operations and Application Development to work more closely together than they ever have in an effort to deliver the application services that the business demands
DevOps is a response to the growing awareness that there is a disconnect between what is traditionally considered development activity and what is traditionally considered operations activity. This disconnect often manifests itself as conflict and inefficiency.
- Quicker mitigation of software defects
- Better resource management
- Reduced human errors
- Enhanced version control
- Stable operating environment
Need of DevOps
- Gone are the days where People used to say Developers develop and Operations operate.
- Businesses are increasingly impatient with IT organizations that operate in silos and that do not deliver reliable applications and services on time and within budget, to come out of these issues, DevOps came into picture to Integrate both Application Development and also the IT Operations
- Nearly every business is becoming software-driven. Where "applications are the business"
- IT is being called upon to provide a new kind of service to deliver and maintain revenue producing applications that are often the face of the business
Benefits of DevOps
- Provide a greater alignment and collaboration in strengthening both application development and IT operations team
- Automates end-to-end application development from initial request to continuous delivery
- Efficiently capture all demand, easily define business requirements, manage software changes throughout the development life cycle and continuously deliver releases with confidence
- Improving Application life cycle management, including greater visibility, streamlined compliance, faster time to market and lower delivery costs
- Improve development time by enabling distributed development teams to manage and track changes to requirements, software configurations, and timelines
- Deploy these new or updated applications and services at the speed at which they get developed and then support them while minimizing the risk and potential impact to the company’s infrastructure
Continuous Integration / Deployment
Continuous Integration is the process of building source code every time code is committed to a source code repository. Continuous Testing builds on Continuous Integration and Test Driven Development to ensure that your code is always tested when changed, shortening the time it takes to find software defects
Why Continuous Deployment?
- The pace of change that customers expect is increasing and having Releases once or twice a year won't allow businesses to keep up with customer demands.
- Value can be delivered to customers quickly for every change that passes release criteria and this can be a significant competitive differentiator.
- Will deliver significant value to your business pushing changes all the way to production in a fully automated fashion
Benefits of Continuous Deployment
- Increased reliability – By releasing smaller and more frequent changes, you reduce the risk involved with each change and increase your uptime.
- Faster time to market – With Continuous Delivery, you can release changes quickly and safely to your customers as frequently as your customers need them
DevTools is partnered with GitHub & promotes GitHub products along with Implementation, integration & migration services to enterprise customers here.DevTools is happy to assist you to explore the methods of how they can assist you while choosing the right DevOps platform & toolset and, on the implementation of DevOps based on the Best Practices Approach.
GitHub is a leading Version Control Repository offering distributed version control and source code management (SCM) functionalities of Git across its customer organizations. GitHub is easy to adopt & very cost effective without compromising on the functionality of Software Configuration Management and its best practices.
Services portfolio covers :
- Process Consulting & Guidance.
- Implementation & Customization.
- Migration Services from other DVCS.
- Integration with DevOps stack.
- User & Admin training.